Tuesday, April 24, 2012

The garden has risen!

According to my grandmother and great aunt all the "signs" pointed to April 7th being the best day to plant our gardens.  We rambled around all that day getting everything ready, tilling, planting, and watering.  It was near dark when Tim and I finished.

Ten days later I was rewarded with sprouts all around.  And at this point I have many plants already several inches tall.  This is one of my green bean sprouts from yesterday.  It's just over three inches all.

Isn't it pretty?!  I'm quite happy with the growth we're having and even my trash can potatoes have sprouted up high enough for me to add another layer of dirt.  I'm still holding out hope for an excellent growing season and bountiful harvest. 

I'm looking forward to trying my hand at canning this year, but only if I grow more than the kids will devour fresh out of the garden.  By the end of the growing season I'll know if the garden will need to be expanded next year to accomplish a big winter stockpile.  Over the years I've learned that gardening is more about trial and error than having a green thumb.  Only this year I'm keeping my trials and errors on paper to refer back to next year.  ;)

Happy Growing!



2 comments:

  1. We did most of our planting on the 15th, wanted to wait until the irrigation water was turned on. So far, we have a few cabbage doing well, all of my garlic that I planted last fall, and some peas getting ready to climb the fence.
    Last year, our first year of gardening, was definitely trial and error. We planted things in the hopes we could make something grow. We let certain sprouts keep going, because we didn't know what they were. This year, we actually planned, and almost look like we know what we're doing.
    You can see our garden for this year here: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150641815944333.403354.546279332&type=3
    Good luck with your garden! Can't wait to see how it turns out.
    ~Sunfire

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job, Connie. The garden looks great! I hope you have a wonderful growing season. :)

    ReplyDelete