Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Brown Easter Eggs

My first batch of chicks started laying eggs toward the end of last summer, so this was our first Easter without a single white, store-bought egg in the house.  I really wondered if I would have to rush out & buy a dozen white eggs just for the kids to color.

However, to my surprise, the brown eggs from our Rhode Island Reds colored up just as beautiful and a bit more unique than any white egg I've ever used.

Since I have a stash of egg coloring kits (all purchased at major discounts after the holiday over the years), I didn't want to buy anything new to color eggs.  We pulled out a kit and started boiling our eggs.  One dozen into the pot, four for each child.  One dozen came out of the boiling water and straight into an ice bath.  Instant cooling!

Okay, let me just say that yellow doesn't work well with brown eggs.  The one we tried turned out a weirdly, sick-looking BLAH.  Orange was a bit iffy, but the kids seemed satisfied with it.  Me, well I loved the reds, purples, blues, and greens.  My youngest took a crayon to hers before we dyed them, thus the wild and crazy designs on the three right eggs.

Something that really struck a cord with me is how the same color can look completely different on each egg.  Take green for example. In the picture there are three green eggs (top, left, right), but each one is a different shade of green. There's not more than a minute of dying time difference between them, but the colors are sooooo different.

The girls and I declared brown Easter eggs a success, and I didn't even have to go to the store!  Oh, and all twelve eggs disappeared with extra-speedy swiftness by the end of the day.  I'm surprised none of the kids had tummy aches.  LOL!  I'm happy with the egg colors--so rich and vibrant--and we will definitely be using our brown eggs in the future.


2 comments:

  1. Very cool. We can't raise our own eggs yet, but we do buy brown eggs from a local farm. It's neat to see how they come out when dyed. :)
    ~Sunfire

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Connie. It was a new experience for us, but oh so rewarding when you're using your own eggs. They really came out nice; each unique unto itself. :)

      Delete