Monday, April 23, 2012

A week in the coop.

A little over a week ago I finally broke down and put my six young Barred Plymouth Rock chicks in the coop with my three Rhode Island Reds.  I read all the information about integrating new chicks into a preexisting flock and the dangers and precautions to be taken.

I expected the worse, but hoped for the best.

A week later, I'm happy to say that all the chicks are still alive, not having been flogged or pecked to death by the hens.  And all the hens are still laying every day, not having been flustered into non-production status by the wild youngsters running around.

This is my first time being able to see the establishment of a pecking order when adding young ones.  It's quite odd to see the big one just go off an peck at a passing little one.  For no good reason other than to just say, "Hey, you little squirt, get the heck away from me!"  LOL.

The little ones haven't ventured too far from the coop.  On some days they don't even come out of the coop.  And when a hen comes inside, oh boy, you better watch out.  The little ones squawk and clamour all over each other to see who can get furthest into the corner, as far away from the hens as chickenly possible.

I'm hoping they'll all settle down soon and get to liking each others' company.  :)



No comments:

Post a Comment