Thursday, March 15, 2012

The seeds have arrived. It's garden time!

This year I'm going with organic and heirloom vegetables for our family garden.  I'm hoping for a healthier and more bountiful crop, but we'll have to just wait and see on that.

My mother suggested a company that she orders from yearly called Southern Exposure Seed Exchange and a high school friend suggested Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds.  So I checked them out and ordered.  I placed a hefty order with SESE, but they had run out of pinto beans.  That's when I popped over to Baker Creek and ordered from them.

In just a few days I had received my beans from Baker Creek, and yesterday (a few more days later) my order from SESE arrived.  Woohoo!  Everything arrived safe and sound.

Now, if only my garden area was ready for planting. Eek!  It's okay though since there are still a few weeks left before it's planting time here in North Georgia.  That gives me more time to put the chickens back to work and then pull out the heavy-duty garden tiller.  Then it's on!

Come on Mother Nature!  Be kind to this country girl.  I would truly appreciate your assistance in growing enough vegetables for us to enjoy fresh out of the garden AND can/freeze for the future.  *Fingers Crossed*

Pictured above are my seeds of:

Bolita Beans  --  From Baker Creek
Green Beans
Beets
Carrots
Sweet Corn
Bell Peppers
Banana Peppers
Jalapeno Peppers  -- we're going to try our hand at salsa making
Glacier Tomatoes
Cherry Tomatoes
Pickling Cucumbers
2 types of Lettuce
Onions

All of these are veggies that I know will get eaten.  I may also get some sunflower seeds, but haven't decided on that yet.  Oh, and I'll be getting some potato clippings.

Above all this, I typed up all the details of the seeds from the companies, including growing times and company item numbers so I can keep up with what grows well for us and what may not.  This will make it easier to reference back to next year.  I'll be keeping growing notes and actual sprouting times.  Maybe, just maybe, all of this will help ensure some good crops.  :)

2 comments:

  1. I wish we could have a garden but here where we live now we don't even have a yard. Someday before we are too old and gray to enjoy it I would love to live somewhere that we could do a garden...even a small one would be good for just the two of us. I really wish you luck and wonderful crops Christie. Salsa is so fun to make and tastes so good. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by, Marjorie. I hope that one day you're able to enjoy growing a garden. I've seen a lot of articles about growing small container gardens. If you have even a small area of sunshine you could grow a few of your favorite vegetables. Herbs can be grown on a kitchen window sill. Maybe you can start with something small for now. :)


    Christie

    ReplyDelete