Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Good-bye Sausage & Bacon 2.0

Today's the day we deliver our two pigs to the local slaughterhouse. Tomorrow is the big day. When I called weeks ago the man told me they were so booked up that the next available day was three weeks away, and that's the one I snagged. When he called today to verify that I was bringing in two pigs, he told me they'd call me after the deed is done to tell me their weights (and thus the cost of the slaughter since it's $0.42/lb hanging weight, plus a $20 kill fee each).

Now, I wait for the hubby and our friends to get home from work so I can get a giggle out of these two men wrangling these two giant pigs up. I'll let you know how that goes. LOL!

As a side note: I bought just enough pig feed to last us to the end of today. So they will get one last meal on the ride to the slaughterhouse and I'll be out of feed. You can't time it any better than that!

Since this is a new adventure for us, I don't know what to expect. I don't know how much they weigh, but I'm guesstimating that they're about 400lbs together. I suppose we'll find out after tomorrow if I'm close or not. I have ideas on meat cuts I want, and we will totally request sausage and bacon on that list. However, I imagine we'll be quite sick of pork by the time my deep freezer is empty again.

Fingers crossed for a smooth delivery this evening and some tasty pork after it's all over.  :)  Stay tuned for more updates in the next couple of days.




2 comments:

  1. I did 2 years ago, named them Breakfast and Dinner. Obviously sausage and bacon, but you might ask for ground pork from some of it. Then, you can season it any way you want, even make some of your own sausage. If you want pork chops, check to see how thick your butcher will cut them - so do them too thin or too thick. Good luck! Oh, there are just the two of us these days, and we still buy whole hogs to get butchered.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Debbie! They called this morning to get my list of meats and I *think* I got everything ordered I'd planned on getting. They asked for chop thickness and even how many chops to a pack (and pounds to a pack for the ground pork). They said it would all be ready for me to pick up on Friday. That was faster than I expected. :)

      Delete